The Cauliflowers are giving me a good bending exercise. The worms are busy , reducing the leaves into a sieve.. The lush leaves become like some lace pattern within days. So, for the past few days, my routine is to wear my glasses and look for those predators in the plant.( like Karamchand!) The droppings are a give away. But the worm itself is tiny and furry. I get a surge of energy when I see them, and remove it by shaking the plants. The vigorous shake also gives out some small green worms, to be duly mashed ( Sad). I also find small insects , kind of orange with some spots on them and they just fall on the surface and need to be quickly disposed off.
Next three days go by without the leaf being attacked and all is well. After a coat of panchagavya, the leaves look lush and the flowers are budding.
But not for long, again some rains, and the insects are back .
For the past few days, I have tied the leaves together to avoid excess heat. ( Hyderabad, it is suddenly hot or suddenly rainy. ) This year the weather is tiresome. Despite the odds the curds are forming and I am , excited. :-).
Some of the cabbage plants are already soggy, but I hope to salvage something out of it. I am banking on two plants which are growing well. The crackling sound of the pale green leaves are such a delight. The rain drops are sliding down to the centre, and the leaves are big. I wish the worms and insects will be easy to spot without damaging the leaves.
I had to make a sacrifice this morning. I had to cut the bottle gourd and Ridge gourd plants . The leaves were turning in a sad shape, with brown spots and what not and the dry leaves were a pain , once it rained. The plant was looking all kind of shut down, and I had to do it. Though it was fighting still and giving some small fruits , the rains were not helping in anyway. I did not get much yield on those plants.
The bottle gourd was giving a lots of promise, but the fruit did not develop properly. I did not have a proper trailing and the support I gave was not sufficient. The leaves were growing well and flowering too.,, but the fruits were getting some wilting or the other or distorted. Small fruits would not even develop. So it is good bye to Bg for now. Same with the RG. The fruits were ok , but not that many. The smaller ones were simply refused to grow and shriveled up.
But I am not giving up .
The plans are ready The next batch is germinating and I have to finish new potting mix
Avoid making the same mistakes , maybe make new one. This time I am armed with what not do . Also pester hubby to help in putting up some decent support. A bamboo trellis or as in this video.
I am amazed by this guy and his efforts; his family’s commitment. The garden is amazing in its simplicity. Hats off to him!